The hormone that helps you heal, lose weight, and feel great!
Did you know that there is a hormone that boosts your immune system, wound-healing, longevity, digestion, and weight loss?
It turns out that oxytocin, also known as the love hormone or bonding hormone, has a greater impact on our health than it’s gotten credit for.
Here are some benefits of stable oxytocin levels:
- Reduces levels of the stress hormone cortisol
- Lowers blood pressure
- Improved blood sugar levels and weight loss (reduce emotional eating and help reduce appetite)
- Improves gut motility and decreases intestinal inflammation (Both oxytocin and the receptor site for oxytocin have been found in the intestinal tract!)
A little more on that inflammation point, Dr. Michael Gershon, author of The Second Brain (a great book detailing how the gut works) and chairman of the department of anatomy and cell biology at Columbia University, found that oxytocin reduces gastrointestinal inflammation. Besides being painful, intestinal inflammation can also contribute to:
- Food sensitivities
- Autoimmune disorders
- Systemic infections within the gut, imbalances in your gut flora
So oxytocin is a healing hormone! And the great news is that you stimulate production of oxytocin when you:
- Give and receive hugs (20 seconds long is best! And aim for 8 per day)
- Express genuine gratitude
- Express love
- Give a gift or do something nice for someone
- Talk with a friend (in person or on the phone)
- Take a walk (in nature is best)
- Listen to music you love
- Laugh out loud
- Have orgasms
- Get a massage
- Pet a pet
I’m excited for you to get into the routine of boosting your oxytocin levels and start feeling even healthier and more vibrant.
Until next time, I’m wishing you unstoppable health!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!