The Connection Between Gut Health and Longevity
In today’s newsletter, I just want to share with you something that has been in the longevity spotlight because of its research-backed claim that it can protect the body from age-related diseases as well as slow down the aging process.
Urolithin A is a compound produced just inside your gut by your gut microbes when you eat foods containing ellagic acid. Ellagic acid is a naturally occurring polyphenol found in foods such as walnuts, raspberries (yellow and red), pomegranate, berries (black, blue, straw, and cloud), and teas.
Here are some ways that your health benefits from Urolithin A (UA):
- Mitochondrial health – Your mitochondria are called the powerhouses of the cell because these organelles inside the cell are responsible for extracting energy from food. As we age, the mitochondria become less functional, and so does the system that clears dysfunctional mitochondria. UA triggers mitophagy, which is the process of cleaning or recycling mitochondria that has become dysfunctional. The result is that you have less dysfunctional cells and more healthy, functioning cells. Winning!
- Heart health – UA improves cardiac function in various ways: protecting against atherosclerosis, reducing plasma lipid levels, and reducing inflammation in heart cells.
- Brain health – Based on reports, UA exerts its anti-inflammatory properties in the brain. In the study involving mice as the subjects, UA imparted cognitive protection by protecting neurons from death and triggering neurogenesis (growth and development of new nerve tissue). Hence, UA is a promising therapeutic tool to possibly treat Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Metabolic health — In obese animals, UA has been found to reduce harmful fats and increase insulin sensitivity, which as we know are factors for metabolic health and healthy body composition.
- Muscle health – By inducing mitophagy, UA improves muscle function as well. The presence of UA improves muscle fiber and enhances the strength and performance of skeletal muscles.
And check this out– In a study, UA increased the lifespan of worms by 45%!
Even though the studies so far have only involved animals, several human trials are underway. Urolithin A is indeed a very promising compound for achieving good health, quality of life, and hopefully a longer healthier life.
All the more reason to eat healthy produce and other foods that promote the health of your gut and gut bugs–without them, you can’t make UA!
It is my passion to work with people like you whose health symptoms are getting in the way of you living life fully and with a sense of freedom in your body. I can help you to regain your health so you can feel great and free to enjoy life fully.
If you’re ready to discover where your best health has been hiding, I’d love to connect with you!
Apply for a complimentary Unstoppable Health Discovery Session. bit.ly/schedulinghealth (subject to availability).
Until next time, I’m wishing you unstoppable health!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!