The Gut-Thyroid Connection
Thousands of years ago, Hippocrates, the father of modern medicine, said that “All disease begins in the gut.”
Your gut is truly at the ROOT of your health.
Your gut is where you take all the good stuff you eat and drink and transform it into the many building blocks your body needs to make energy, think clearly, sleep well, maintain a healthy weight, build muscle, fight infections, and clear out toxins that need clearing out daily so you can thrive.
Poor gut health affects every part of you, including your thyroid or master gland of metabolism! But it’s not that simple: poor thyroid function can lead to poor gut health as well.
So today, I want to share some helpful info with you about the gut-thyroid connection and give you some tips for how you can support both.
3 Ways Your Gut & Thyroid are Connected
- Thyroid hormones influence the tight junctions of your gut (tight junctions are what protect you by acting as a selective barrier between your gut and your bloodstream…without it, your entire immune system is compromised).
- Imbalances in your gut bugs leads to poor thyroid hormone conversion (the enzyme required to convert thyroid hormones into their active forms, intestinal sulfatase, are dependent on healthy gut bacteria).
- Low stomach acid and constipation both decrease available thyroid hormone (because hormone clearance is impaired)…and low thyroid hormone can worsen constipation (slows gut transit time).
Top Tips to Support Your Gut-Thyroid Connection
- Get plenty of sleep. Your body needs 7-8 hours of sleep each night (click here for guidelines and tips).
- Eat a healthy diet of high quality, whole foods (tips here).
- Support your microbiome. Current research shows that lactobacillus and bifidobacterium-based probiotics play a role in supporting thyroid function and reducing thyroid antibodies (when your own body attacks your thyroid). Click here for more tips.
It is my passion to work with people like you whose health symptoms are getting in the way of you living life fully and with a sense of freedom in your body. I can help you to regain your health so you can feel great and free to enjoy life fully.
If you’re ready to discover where your best health has been hiding, I’d love to connect with you!
Apply for a complimentary Unstoppable Health Discovery Session. bit.ly/schedulinghealth (subject to availability).
Until next time, I’m wishing you unstoppable health!