When it comes to health, what goes in your mouth plays a huge role. Today, I’d like to tell you about superfoods.
What is a superfood?
Superfood is a term coined to describe food products that are low in calories and jam-packed with nutrients and minerals. They also contain active ingredients that prevent diseases and promote good health.
Here are 5 Superfoods that are easy to incorporate into shakes, smoothies, salads, or on the side of one or more of your meals.
- Acai Berries — Acai berries are technically not a berry but a drupe. They grow on acai palm trees found in Central and South American rainforests. They are rich in healthy fats yet low in sugar. Being high in antioxidants, too, acai berries are used in most beauty products in the form of acai oil.
- Blueberries — Just like acai berries, blueberries are rich in anthocyanin, the pigment that gives the berries their deep black and bluish-purple colors. Blueberries are low in calories but loaded with nutrients including Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and manganese. They are rich in antioxidants so they make the best defense against aging and cancer.
- Tea — There is nothing like a good ol’ cup of tea! Any tea contains antioxidants, but if you want more, green tea has double antioxidant content. There are a lot of benefits in drinking tea, such as preventing heart disease, some types of cancer, and diabetes. In addition, tea helps in burning fat, protects the brain from damage due to oxidative stress and aging, and kills some bacteria and viruses. All of these benefits are made possible by the catechins found in tea. Some of my favorite teas include lemon balm, dandelion root, peppermint, and rooibos.
- Chia Seeds — These are the tiny black seeds of Salvia hispanica, a plant in the mint family. Chia is the ancient Mayan name for “strength.” No wonder chia is a great energy source. In addition to the many nutrients in chia, it is composed of high soluble fiber and protein. Chia seeds are high in healthy Omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants. They should be soaked prior to eating because they hold 12 times their volume in water!
- Dark Chocolate — I’m talking about high-quality dark chocolate with high cocoa content. Although dark chocolate contains stimulants and caffeine, it’s lower than coffee. Why dark chocolate is a superfood is because it is very nutritious, containing antioxidants and minerals. Among the active compounds in dark chocolate are flavanols, which support blood vessels for healthy blood circulation. In addition, dark chocolate was found to increase HDL and lower LDL, thereby lowering one’s risk for heart diseases.
It is my passion to work with people like you whose health symptoms are getting in the way of you living life fully and with a sense of freedom in your body. I can help you to regain your health so you can feel great and free to enjoy life fully.
If you’re ready to discover where your best health has been hiding, I’d love to connect with you!
Apply for a complimentary Unstoppable Health Discovery Session. bit.ly/schedulinghealth (subject to availability).
Until next time, I’m wishing you unstoppable health!