Holiday ham & maple mustard glaze
I’m not a big turkey fan. For all of you out there groaning over the anticipation of eating turkey for Thanksgiving, this recipe is for you.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion, minced (optional)
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbs. brown mustard seed
- 1 can crushed pineapple
- 1 boneless or bone in ham, about 5 lbs. (I prefer bone-in ham. Use the leftovers to make my delicious creamy ham soup).
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine first 7 ingredients and pepper to taste in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring about 1 minute. Set aside to cool.
- Cut diamond pattern on the outside of ham. Place ham on a lightly oiled roasting rack with a shallow roasting pan below OR place ham and glaze in a deep baking dish (it tastes great either way, less cleanup with second option).
- Brush syrup mixture over ham.
- Bake 5 minutes, reduce heat to 325°F, and bake another 60-70 mins, basting with syrup mixture every 20-30 minutes. Remove ham from oven and set aside 15 minutes before slicing.
This recipe is higher in sugar than most of my recipes. If your blood sugar is sensitive or you know that eating a lot of carbs increases your food cravings, go easy on the glaze. Serve with a low starch veggie like green beans, asparagus, zucchini or a lovely green salad.
Enjoy! Happy Holidays!
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
[…] Baked turkey with gravy or ham with glaze […]
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!