As discussed in my Paleo Baby blog, parents seem to revert to processed, convenience foods over whole, nutrient dense choices too often these days. It is my goal to educate parents and provide guidance & recipes so that they choose to start their kids off on a healthy diet. If I need to shout from the rooftops the essential nutrition lessons to start in childhood and continue later in life, well, I think it a worthwhile sacrifice.
I’m teaching a class at the The Santa Cruz Village: Birth & Family Enrichment Center on Mon, May 21st. Register now.
Here is some of what will be covered in class:
Age Appropriate Foods
- Kids do not have the enzymatic and digestive capabilities to thrive on carbohydrates until they are at least 2 years old. This means that rice cereal, refined cereals like O’s, crackers and chips should NOT be the finger foods of choice. Children need primarily fat and protein through this developmental stage. Their physiology is not set up to break down carbs, especially grains, until much later.
Finger Foods For Toddlers (an abbreviated list)
- Mini sliders (ground meat of choice, pastured is best)
- Jerky or beef sticks (grassfed, no sugar or artificial additives of any kind)
- Frozen organic veggies like peas, corn, or carrots
- Raw and/or organic cheese
- Liver slices (sauteed in organic butter and sea salt)
- Soaked and dehydrated nuts & seeds
Ideas & Recipes For Picky Eaters
- Baby led feeding
- Variety within reason
- New recipe schedule
I hope to see you at this class and if you can’t make it, please post your comments or questions to my blog. 🙂