5 healthy holiday drinks
Reducing sugar (and getting plenty of healthy fat) around the holidays will help you avoid packing on the extra pounds AND curb sugar cravings. This holiday season, curl up by the fire with one of these delicious, guilt-free drinks:
- Christmas cocoa: 1 cup of raw, full-fat organic cow’s milk OR unsweetened full-fat organic coconut milk OR unsweetened nut milk; 3-4 teaspoons raw cacao powder (super high in antioxidants); a dash of vanilla; and a healthy sweetener (4-6 drops stevia extract OR other low fructose sweetener such as 1-2 teaspoons coconut sugar, xylitol, SweetPerfection prebiotic fiber, or Truvia). Heat in a small pot on low-medium heat till warm, stirring throughout so cacao dissolves. Optional: dash of cinnamon or nutmeg & lightly sweetened or unsweetened whipped cream.
- Winter Wonderland: Heat 1 cup of coconut milk in a small pot on low-medium heat. Pour into a mug and add a healthy sweetener (options mentioned above) to taste. Top with fresh nutmeg.
- Ginger tea (use fresh ginger root) garnished with a cinnamon stick or apple spice tea.
- Eggnog: so much tastier & healthier than what you get in the store (see recipe here).
- Warm milk with cardamom: Use organic, whole milk (preferably raw) or go dairy-free with coconut or nut milk. The cardamom transforms plain warm milk into an aromatic treat. Crush 1-2 cardamom pods into a fine powder using a mortar and pestle for the best flavor. Otherwise, use 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom). Sweeten if preferred (vanilla and/or vanilla crème stevia extract, coconut sugar, SweetPerfection, or Truvia).
Published on Examiner.com 12/5/11. Click here to see more articles.