Last week I told you all about bitters and how you can easily add them into your day to powerfully support your gut health. In case you missed it, you can find out about it here.
Every day, I work with people whose health symptoms–like gut/digestive issues, excess weight, low energy, and sleep problems–are getting in the way of them living life fully and with a sense of freedom in their bodies. I help them to regain their health so they can feel great and free to enjoy their lives again.
I’ve got an easy, delicious recipe for you today loaded with good stuff for your gut!
To quickly recap, why I focus on gut health so much is because that’s the common culprit to virtually every symptom! You can’t be healthy and free of symptoms if your gut isn’t functioning properly.
Your gut is where the magic happens: where you take all the good stuff you eat and drink and transform it into the building blocks your body needs to make energy, sleep well, maintain a healthy weight, build muscle, and clear out toxins that need clearing out daily so you can thrive.
Gut Healthy Ingredients
The ingredients in this recipe are full of nutrients to support a healthy gut! Zucchini is loaded with antioxidants, B vitamins, potassium, and Vit C. 1 medium zucchini yields half of your daily Vit C needs! Zucchini are also known for hydrating the body and soothing the gut (partially due to its high water and fiber content). Research suggests that this veggie has anti-inflammatory properties as well.
Key ingredients in pesto like basil and garlic are powerful immune boosters AND anti-microbial so they help your good gut flora to thrive while fighting off unfriendly flora and viruses.
How to Make Happy Gut Zoodle Pesto!:
Let’s start with the zucchini noodles (also called zoodles or zucchetti). These are made with a spiral slicer and are a fun, fork twirl-able staple food for anyone looking to add a nutrient-dense, gluten-free/grain-free noodle into their meals.
You will need a handheld or free standing spiral slicer to create long, thin strings. If you are cooking for several people or love to batch cook, the free standing one shown in the picture will save you time and energy. Otherwise, a handheld one is the way to go.
Zoodles are a staple in our home! Here’s what you do:
- Slice ends of zucchini off and slice zuch in half. 1 medium zucchini per person.
- Then insert each half on the spiralizer and use smallest triangle blade for small noodles.
- Rotate until all of zuch is used, repeating for each zuchinni half.
- Cook on low-medium heat in olive oil for 10 minutes. 1 zuch per person. OR bake in the oven on a tray lined with paper towels (to soak up moisture) at 250 for 20 mins (this yields a firmer zoodle, which I love).
- Top this with pesto, or fresh tomatoes, a homemade tomato sauce, and/or protein of choice) and stir well.
- I love Pasta Mike’s organic pesto sauce (made with olive oil, not canola or soy)~look for a brand that uses quality oil!
- Favorite toppings are hardboiled eggs (shown below), sausage, grilled chicken, or shrimp.
Enjoy this delicious and happy gut zoodle pesto!
Until next time, I’m wishing you unstoppable health. 🙂