http://choosinghealthnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/apple.png 0 0 admin http://choosinghealthnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/apple.png admin2017-07-13 12:07:422017-07-07 12:08:21Grain-free Taco Salad
This recipe is quick, easy, and delicious! One thing you will notice that is different is that there aren’t any refined starches or grains in it. I’ve found that for myself and many of my clients that it’s easy to get carried away with starches at meals and that leads to health symptoms like weight gain (or stalling weight loss), energy crashes, increased appetite, and sugar cravings. What you’ll love about this meal is that it is super easy to customize. If you do well with more carbs, then you’ll do great with more green leafies, cabbage, and salsa. If you do well with less carbs, these are great options that won’t spike your blood sugar and you can add a bit more fat and protein to stay balanced. Everybody wins!
Ingredients for taco salad filling:
- 2 lbs grass-fed ground beef
- 1/2 tsp-1.5 teaspoons of chili powder (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder (or 1/2 chopped yellow onion)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Optional: Organic hot sauce to taste (I love Organic Harvest Foods’ Jalapeno Pepper Sauce)
- Toppings: avocado or guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheese, olives, salsa or chopped tomatoes
Ingredients for taco salad base:
- 1-2 cups of leafy greens and/or cabbage (crispy romaine is especially delicious)
- Optional: organic whole or refried beans
- In a large skillet, crumble ground beef and add spices. Cook on medium heat until meat turns brown, stirring occasionally (5-10 minutes).
- While filling is cooking, wash and chop lettuce.
- If having beans, heat those up in a small pot with a little coconut oil on the bottom to prevent sticking.
- When meat is brown, turn off heat.
- Put lettuce on plate, top with meat (and beans), and add your favorite toppings~avocado or guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheese, olives, and salsa or chopped tomatoes.