As I write this blog, I have a belly full of this delicious meal. A scrumptious blend of meat, veg, cheese and spices makes this meal nutritious, satisfying, super low-carb, gluten-free, and total comfort food.
Amounts of ingredients aren’t critical. Customize this recipe to your preferences. If you like a lot of meat, or more vegetables, or more/less cheese, go for it! It’ll be awesome.
3 lbs grass-fed meat (beef, lamb, pork, chicken turkey…whatever you prefer. I used beef and a teeny bit of ground organ meat)
1 head green cabbage
2 cups raw organic spinach
1/2 cup cubed shitake mushrooms
1.5 cups of organic full-fat ricotta cheese or cottage cheese (or a blend of the two)
1 cup full-fat shredded mozzarella (Greenbank Farms brand if you can)
1/2 cup pepperjack cheese (Raw Greenbank Farms brand if you can)
1/2 cup organic Parmesan cheese
1 can sliced black olives
1 large bell pepper (I used orange, but any of them will taste good)
1 large can (28 ounces) of organic crushed tomatoes
About 1 tsp each of rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, fennel seed
2 large cloves of garlic finely chopped
1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper
- Cut the head of cabbage in half and slice off the bottom to remove stem. Place in a steamer basket in a large pot with a few cups of water and steam until tender on medium heat (about 25 mins).
- While cabbage is cooking, cube up shitakes, bell pepper and zucchini.
- In a large skillet, crumble all the meat, add spices and garlic. Cook on medium heat. After a few minutes, add the bell pepper to the skillet so that it seasons the meat. Mmmm. Cook till medium doneness (don’t overcook!).
- Once the cabbage is done (let it cool for a minute or two so you don’t burn your fingers), peel the leaves off one by one and place in the bottom of a huge glass baking dish. And pre-heat the oven to 350 while you’re at it.
- Then layer everything however you like. Cabbage, meaty goodness, some crushed tomatoes, ricotta or cottage cheese, spinach, more meat, zucchini, some cheese…you get the idea.
When you run out of everything, top it with any remaining cheese and sprinkle some more herbs on top to make it pretty. Then stick it in the oven at 350 for an hour.